Sunday, January 27, 2013

Redneck wine glasses

Well since its 6:20 in the morning and I just dropped my father off at work and can't fall back to sleep, I figured I might as well do something more productive than just trolling the Internet for hilarious cat photos. It doesn't help that the cats are all snuggled up next to me and snoring.
But on a positive note, here is my tutorial for redneck wine glasses. I made these as a Christmas present and packaged it with a bottle of torrey ridge winery's redneck red wine. It's a great wine from the finger lakes and one of my favorites actually, they also have a redneck white. It is also only about $12 a bottle so the whole present came in at about $30 including the glue which I have extra of.
I picked up the candle sticks (and could have gotten the mason jars if I didn't have a ton laying around already) at the dollar tree for $1 each. The glue I picked up at lowes and it was $6, I can't vouch for any other brand or type of glue, but I chose the lochite glass glue based in some research. It's rated for glueing glass to glass and is also dishwasher safe. I would still recommend to hand wash the glasses just in case, mostly because I'm paranoid, but the package said you can put them in the dishwasher.
Now on to the tutorial, sorry I don't have better photos, but since you only have a minute or so to get the glueing done I couldn't take many pictures. I will try to describe it as best I can though.

Step one: assemble your supplies, as noted above you don't need many items. Also make sure you have washed and dried the mason jars and candle sticks and removed the price tags because once you glue them they need to sit for 24-48 hours to set so you won't be able to wash them after for a while. Don't forget to make sure the glass is dry before you add the glue or it won't set right.

Step two: Before you put on the glue make sure you put the pieces together just to et the feel for how it will go together. Apply the glue to the top(the side where you insert the candle) of the candle holder. Just around the top rim and don't go crazy with the glue. Also make sure you only apply glue to one of the surfaces, too much glue is not your friend in this craft! Before you use it read the directions on the back of the package on how to apply the glue, trust me it's worth the two minutes of reading. Then attach the candlestick to the bottom of the mason jar keeping it centered on the bottom of the jar. It should be pretty easy to keep it centered. You also have to hold the pieces together for about 60 seconds (again read the package!)

Step three: after that you need to let the glasses set without moving them for 24-48 hours. I let mine sit for 48 hours without moving them again because of my paranoia, but it seemed to work very well. Also let them sit like that upside down so that the candlestick is on the top, that way you don't have to worry about an inquisitive cat wandering around knocking them over..... Or anyone else.

I hope this helps! If you've got questions feel free to ask away in the comments section and I'll do the best to answer with my experience. These were a fun craft to make and as I said including the wine and glue it cost me $30 or less to make the set of 2 glasses. I have seen these glasses sold in stores ranging in price from $15 each to $30 each depending on the store and quality. Yay for crafty Christmas!








No comments:

Post a Comment