Monday, January 21, 2013

Lemondrop froyo

Decided to try out one of the new frozen yogurt shops that have popped up in the capital region over the past year. It seems like they've sprouted up like weeds, there are two TCBY shops, plus one of the malls has 2! Frozen yogurt places, plus a few random ones that are in strip malls. Lemondrop frozen yogurt happens to be one of those contained in the strip mall, actually conveniently in the same strip mall as trader joes!
Like most frozen yogurt shops Lemondrop is a chain, from the research I did it looks like it costs about $250,000 to open a franchise. This is the only one of this chain in the area, but it was nice and clean. It had the standard froyo shop where you have the row of soft serve machines and a bar of toppings and hot fudge, caramel sauce, etc.
It was very clean, I was a little dismayed that they only had one employee on at 6:30 on a Saturday night. That meant she was just running the register as it was relatively crowded. Normally when you go to a tcby or most of the froyo places they have an employee placed right by the machines just to offer you samples of the flavors so you can test them out. Since there was only one employee wedding have the benefit of testing out the flavors first.
We decided to wing it and go with what looked good. We got one bowl of euro tart and lemon tart with some fruit. That was the healthy bowl... Now on to my bowl of yummyiness!
I went a little more hardcore. I decided on the sea salt caramel pretzel yogurt and then a little bit of chocolate frozen yogurt. Normally I don't really like chocolate frozen yogurt, but with the pretzel flavor it really paired well. I also added caramel sauce, hot fudge, mini chocolate chips, and graham cracker crumbs. It was the perfect combination!
I love the frozen yogurt bars and their pay by the weight concept as well, I love getting to choose a bunch of toppings, plus I like getting a sundae, but can rarely eat the whole thing. I always feel bad ordering a $5 sundae knowing I will probably only eat half of it so to me this is the perfect solution. While I have tried many of the different shops and and many different flavors, my favorite still goes to one of the seasonal flavors at TCBY. This summer they came out with a toasted marshmallow flavor, which topped with some hot fudge, marshmallow topping, and graham cracker crumbs made me unbelievable happy. I was so sad to see it go away at the end of September and I'm hoping it will reappear next summer.
Sadly now after writing this I'm debating wether a trip to get some froyo is out of the question this evening..... It's only about 15ish minutes away.





No comments:

Post a Comment