Monday, January 14, 2013

Christmas dinner

Finally getting around to posting about Christmas dinner. I made a giant (12 pound) prime rib roast. My secrets to a great prime rib are first letting the roast sit out for about an hour on the counter to get it close to room temperature. Then season as you would like, I did toasted onion, rosemary, thyme, and fresh roasted garlic. We took a couple of bulbs of elephant garlic and roasted them in the oven a day or two before and I opened them up and smeared them all over the roast. Then I put it in the oven at 400 for 45 minutes to get a nice sear/crust on the outside. After 45 minutes I covered the pan in foil and turned the oven down to 350 and let it cook forever. Nt really forever, it just felt like it, it was roughly about 5 hours, I was temping it throughout the cooking process so I kind of lost track of time.
I made a few sides, some green beans with mushrooms and onions, cornbread stuffing (it's a southern thing), brown sugar carrots, and Pintrest potatoes.
Here is the recipe I used for the carrots, I actually saw it on Martha Stewart's cooking class on PBS! They were great because they were yummy, looked very fancy, and weren't overly sweet, which I was a little worried about.

What you need:
Lots of carrots
Molasses
Brown sugar
Olive oil
Sea salt

That's it, only 5 ingredients. I cut the carrots into sticks, you could also slice them into "coins" if you prefer. Then I put my carrots in a pan and sautéed them with a little bit of olive oil and some sea salt until they are tender, but not mushy. I mixed the brown sugar and molasses together in a separate bowl before tossing it in with the carrots in the pan so it could caramelize into a glaze. I used about 2/3 of a cup brown sugar and 3 tablespoons molasses for 2 pounds on carrots. After the carrots are tender pour the sugar/molasses mixture into the pan with the carrots and mix it to coat the carrots as evenly as possible. Then put them in a dish and serve!








No comments:

Post a Comment