Sunday, January 6, 2013

Rachel's cookies

While Rachel was in the hospital I made her a little care package and dropped it off with the nurses as she wasn't up for visitors. One of the things I put in her basket was a ton of oatmeal cookies I made from scratch. Oatmeal cookies were her favorite kind and I had promised to bake her some at Christmas time. They were nice and soft too. I filled up the cookie jar on Saturday morning when I made the cookies, then left Sunday morning to go to Atlantic city, by the time I came back on Wednesday afternoon they were all long gone. Here is my recipe as well as some photos.
FYI this recipe yields about 48 cookies

Ingredients
2 cups butter (softened)
2 cups white sugar
2 cups brown sugar
4 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

4 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon cinnamon
6 cups quick cook oats

Preheat oven to 375 while you're mixing the ingredients. Cream together eggs, butter, both sugars, and vanilla extract in one bowl. In a second bowl mix flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Combine the contents of both bowls and then mix in the oats.
Depending on the size of your cookies and the type of pans, you will want to bake them for 7-10 minutes. I used basic cookie sheets and found the perfect cooking time was 9 minutes.
They made delicious, soft cookies, that aren't too sweet. You can also add raisins, nuts, or chocolate chips to mix it up a bit. If you're adding any extras like that make sure you fold those into the mix as your last step, either with, or right after the oats.





No comments:

Post a Comment