Monday, November 5, 2012

Crockpot breakfast

Yum! I loooove using my slow cooker and it's getting to that season where I'll be pulling it out at least one or twice a week. I have a big 7 quart slow cooker and it's one of my favorite appliances.
I wanted a nice easy breakfast in the morning so here it is. I was still in a Mexican mood from Friday night so I made breakfast tacos on Saturday morning too! If you have a smaller crock pot than 7 qts this will work better for you since it cooks faster than normal in a larger pot because the casserole becomes thinner. It was still a easy and popular breakfast and is great as a filler for tacos or breakfast sandwiches as well.
You can swap out the meat for many different things, I used turkey sausage since its much healthier.
Ingredients:
18 eggs
12 oz of mushrooms (sliced)
1/2 an vidalia onion
1lb turkey sausage (chopped)
2 cups frozen spinach (thawed and drained)
1 cup shredded cheese

First sauté the onion and mushrooms in a hot pan with a tablespoon of butter. While they're cooking you can start cracking eggs into the slow cooker and scramble them all up. Once the onions and mushrooms are done pour them into the crock pot with the eggs. Then cook up the sausage in the same pan you cooked the onions and mushrooms in to get the extra flavor. Once the sausage is cooked up drain it of any excess grease and toss it in the crock pot along with the spinach. Stir the whole mixture then sprinkle the shredded cheese over the top and turn it on low for 6 hours. The great thing about this recipe is its easy to make more if you need to or less. Again if you have a large slow cooker like me and the casserole is thin make sure you check the time because it will cook faster.

No comments:

Post a Comment