Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Cranberry beans

Finally getting around to posting about dinner from the farmers market the Sunday before last. The only thing not bought there was the meat (I had a roast in the fridge that needed to be cooked) and the mushrooms since I couldn't find any I liked there.
I served sautéed cranberry beans with mushrooms. I cooked them in the wok with some water, some olive oil, and a little coarse sea salt. I chose to pair them with mushrooms to bring out the nutty, earthy flavor in the beans. If I had it to do over again I would probably blanche the beans before I sautéed them to soften them a bit, even after cooking them for almost an hour they were a bit firm.
I rubbed the roast with some salt, rosemary, thyme, toasted onion, and pepper.
The other veg was some nice acorn squash I picked up at the market. This was easy just a quick roast on a cookie sheet in the oven. Cut into 1/2 or 1/4 s your choice, coat with some butter or olive oil and a sprinkle of nutmeg then roasted till browned and tender. I just tossed it in next to the roast which I was cooking at 400.
Then I made a yummy gravy from the roast drippings. I always add a big of cornstarch as a thickener for the gravy. This was some seriously good gravy.

No comments:

Post a Comment