Sunday, February 3, 2013

Pinterest caramel

So we all know I'm obsessed with Pinterest, I'm a full blown addict and I've been trying fun recipes and crafts off of there, so here's a new one I decided to try. It's for crockpot caramel, this is something I pride myself on making from scratch every year, but I decided once to try the "easy" way out. It wasn't too bad surprisingly, and came out better than I expected. While it wasn't as good as my salted caramel sauce, it was good to use in a recipe. I ended up layering it into caramel butter bars, recipe to follow as well.
The crockpot caramel was easy to make and anyone with a crockpot can make it. All you have to do is buy some sweetened condensed milk in cans and rip off the labels. Then out them in the crockpot and fill it up with water covering the cans. I also recommend you use a crock pot liner, I had never used one before, but it kept the inside of my crockpot clean and didn't damage it from the junk on the cans.
Then you leave it in the crockpot on low for 8 hours. Once the cooking time is done take them out of the crockpot to cool. After the cans are cooled a bit put them in the fridge to get cold. Since I live in upstate new York where it's freezing in the winter I just brought my cans straight out to the garage to cool and skipped the whole cooling down and putting in the fridge process. I guess there are some benefits to the below zero degree weather we've had lately.
I opened it up and it was pretty good, I found it worked very well in recipes though I didn't like it as much just plain. A least it wasn't too bad, I got to out it on my blog instead of the pinterest fail blog!





No comments:

Post a Comment