Sunday, April 29, 2012

Taste Albany, NY

One of the things I have been hoping to do with this blog, in addition to my recipes and cooking is some reviews of restaurants both local and when I travel.
Taste, in Albany is on beaver st and was a little hard to find right off pearl street. I recommend the valet parking, we went on a Saturday night and it is around the corner from the times union center so parking is difficult.
The inside was beautiful, very clean, and the service was wonderful. We had a very attentive waiter who was very knowledgeable about the menu which is always good. They have a great seasonal menu and I did have s living social deal which got me a $50 voucher for $25!
I wish I could get the photos into the proper order but as tapas we had the cowboy tempura (photo 4) and the duck confit cannelloni (photo 2). Both were very good and full of flavor. The only downside of the tempura was that it did not come with chopsticks which made it a little hard to eat. The sauce on the side was a lemon aioli. I wish I had more of that, though they brought some out with the house bread, which was warm and fresh, yum! The duck confit cannelloni was also good. It was paired with a blueberry sticky rice. The blueberry mixture was quite good with the duck, but the sticky rice just did not have the right consistency. The overall bite was very good though.
Now on to the main courses! We had the pan seared diver scallops with pork belly croutons. (photo 1) Who knew such a thing existed but they were like crunchy little bits of heaven.... If I could have pork belly croutons all the time I would eat salads 24/7! The scallops had an amazing buttery texture and were cooked perfectly. And the braised romaine hearts were a great texture combination.
Our other entree was charred swordfish and mussels over angel hair pasta with lobster butter. It was very good, though not as good as the scallops. The mussels were much better than the swordfish, good not great. The dish itself just didn't tie together very well.
Overall taste was a wonderful experience and I hope you all support our local Albany restaurants. You can visit them at http://www.tastealbany.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment